Animal licensing

The Government has now published updated legislation for animal businesses and these changes took effect from 1st October 2018.

The following activities are now licensed under The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018:

  • Riding schools
  • Pet Shops
  • Dog Breeders
  • Kennels
  • Catteries
  • Dog Home Boarders
  • Dog Day Care
  • Keeping or training animals for exhibition

There are also separate licences available for:

  • Dangerous Wild Animals (DWA)
  • Zoos

All of the above legally require a licence to operate. If you wish to know if a business is currently licensed, please call UConnect on 01799 510510 or email

Find out about licences you might need 

You can apply for a new licence, or renew an existing licence, using the application forms below. Please note that all applicants will need to complete forms 1 (Standard Introductory Section) and 2 (Declaration Section), along with the relevant application form for the activity they intend to carry out. The current fees payable are listed in the table below.

If you are wanting to apply for more than one activity (for example a Riding School with an attached Cattery), then please contact Environmental Health to discuss the different options available. If you would like to apply for a Zoo Licence or Dangerous Wild Animals (DWA) Licence, then please contact us to discuss the application process.

► 1. Icon for pdf Standard introductory section [204.15KB]

► 2. Icon for pdf Declaration section [57.5KB]


Icon for pdf Animal boarding application form [256.55KB]

Icon for pdf Breeding and sale of dogs application form [263.36KB]

Icon for pdf Hiring out horses application form [291.82KB]

Icon for pdf Pet vending application form [286.4KB]

Icon for pdf Performing animals application form [279.41KB]

Licensing fees for animal related licensing

► Regulations- Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) 2018

► Animal Welfare Act 2006

Please send the completed application to:


Post: FAO: Environmental Health, Council Offices, London Road, Saffron Walden, Essex, CB11 4ER

Additional information

You can view the Regulations and accompanying useful information using the links below:

Animal activities licensing: guidance (external link)