Complaints about councillors

Your councillors are required to observe the council's local code of conduct.

If you wish to complain that a district, parish or town councillor has breached his or her council's your complaint must be in writing. You may use the complaints form available below although you can just submit your complaint in writing if you wish.

Icon for word Complaints form [367.5KB]

Your complaint must be addressed to:

The Monitoring Officer
Uttlesford District Council
Council Offices
London Road
Saffron Walden
CB11 4ER

Or, your complaint can be sent electronically by email to The Monitoring Officer:

How we deal with your complaint

Upon receipt of your complaint an acknowledgement will be sent to you. The Monitoring Officer will consider the complaint received in consultation with an Independent Person appointed by the Council, and decide whether the complaint warrants a full investigation.

Not all complaints will be passed for action.The Monitoring Officer must be satisfied that the subject of the complaint was a member of the district or parish/town council at the time, and also be satisfied that the complaint if proved would amount to a breach of the Code of Conduct.

If it is decided that the complaint should not be investigated you will be notified of this decision. If it is agreed that the complaint warrants investigation the Monitoring Officer will arrange for an investigation to be carried out.

The Investigating Officer will produce a report on whether the allegation constitutes a breach of the Code of Conduct, and if so may require a hearing before the Standards Committee. You can find full details in the council's Icon for pdf Procedure for Considering a Complaint under the Code of Conduct for Councillors [128.6KB].