How the Council Tax bill is calculated 2018/19
Find out how the council calculates and spends your Council Tax.
Uttlesford District Council collects your Council Tax and puts it into a separate fund called the collection fund. This fund is then shared with Essex County Council, Police Fire and Crime Commissioner for Essex and the parish and town councils. These components of your Council Tax are called "precepts".
The Localism Act 2011 has made significant changes to the Local Government Finance Act 1992, and now requires the Council to calculate a Council Tax requirement for the year, not its budget requirement as previously.
Council Tax is calculated using the precept levels set for funds required by Essex County Council, Essex Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Fire and Rescue Authority and the individual town and parish councils together with the Council Tax Requirement set by Uttlesford District Council. The following precept levels have been received.
- Essex County Council met on 13 February 2018 and set their precept at £44,240,655. This results in a 2018/19 County Council Band D council tax of £1,221.75, an increase of £58.05 (4.99%). This comprises a 2% increase for the adult social care precept, and 2.99% for the general county fund.
- Essex Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner Fire and Rescue Authority met on 22 January 2018 and set their precept at £2,548,522. This results in a 2018/19 PFCC Fire and Rescue Authority Band D council tax of £70.38, an increase of £1.35 (1.95%) on the previous year.
- The Police, Fire & Crime Commissioner for Essex - Policing and Community Safety ratified their precept on 22 January 2018 at £6,120,365. This results in a 2018/19 PFCC Police Authority Band D council tax of £169.02, an increase of £11.97 (7.62%) on the previous year.
- The Town & Parish Councils' precepts are detailed in the
and total £3,155,228. This results in an average Town/Parish Council Band D council tax of £87.13, an average increase of £5.20 (6.35%) on the previous year.
- The Cabinet of Uttlesford District Council met on 15 February 2018 and recommended a council tax Requirement of £5,330,374. This was approved by the Council on 22 February 2018 resulting in a District Council Band D Council Tax of £147.21, an increase of £4.28 (2.99%) on the previous year.
The total of all precepts levied is therefore £61,395,144 resulting in an average total Band D Council Tax of £1,695.49, an increase of £80.85 (5%) on the previous year.
Further information on Council Tax
Use the links below to find out about the precept levels and funds required by Essex County Council, Essex Fire Authority and the Essex Police and Crime Commissioner.
How parish and town councils calculate and spend Council Tax
► General Fund Council Tax 2018/19 [438kb] - report to Full Council on 22 February 2018
► Council Tax Resolution General Fund Appendix G [116kb] - supporting document to the report to Full Council on 22 February 2018