Housing Options and Homelessness

The housing advice and options service offers free and confidential advice to anyone who has housing problems or who needs help with finding somewhere to live.

Housing Options Team help sheets

Finding accommodation

We can help you find a place to live. We cannot guarantee that we can secure a home for everyone, but we can provide information about renting privately and advise on your housing options. If you find accommodation and you are on a low income, we can advise on housing benefit to help you with the rent. See also our pages on:

Applying for council or housing association accommodation

HomeOption - choice based lettings scheme

Housing associations

Rent deposit guarantee scheme

Sheltered Accommodation

► More information on private renting

Homelessness prevention

Wherever possible, we will work with you to try to prevent you from becoming homeless. On the 3rd April 2018 there are changes to legislation: the introduction of the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017. These changes mean if you are threatened with homelessness within 56 days the Council has a duty to assess your needs and work with you to develop a Personal Housing Plan to prevent your homelessness. You will be making a homeless application to initiate this assistance. If you are experiencing problems which put you at risk of homelessness it is important that you contact the housing advice and options team as soon as possible.

You should make every effort to try to solve the housing difficulties you may be facing and ask for advice from the Council's Housing Options Team as soon as possible. A Housing Options Officer will work with you to try to prevent you losing your current home and advise you on the other options available to you to prevent you from becoming homeless.

We only have a legal duty to provide accommodation for some households who are homeless. See also our pages on:

Homelessness FAQ

►  Domestic violence

Sanctuary scheme

Relationship breakdown


Tackling harassment and illegal eviction

All tenants have the right to "quiet enjoyment" of their home, and if this is being interfered with in any way by your landlord you should seek advice straight way. We have the powers to deal with harassment and illegal eviction and will prosecute when it is appropriate. For more information or advice contact the Housing Advice Options Team or the Council's Legal Department.


Advice for young single people 16-25

We can advise you on the housing options available for young people in Uttlesford. We may be able to refer you to mediation to try and solve problems at home or refer you to a supported housing project. We can also refer you to agencies who can advise you on benefits, training and employment. For more information you can contact the Housing Advice/Options Team. See also our pages on:

Relate - Mediation Scheme

Other Related Services

Duty to refer homeless people to a local authority
► Help to Buy Shared Ownership
Citizens Advice
Visit the Shelter website

Download Adobe Reader
The viewer that is needed to display the pdf document(s) is free and may be downloaded from the Adobe Website .