Private Sector Housing

Uttlesford District Council is responsible for ensuring private housing in the district meets the standards set out under the Housing Act 2004, for example being in good repair, has adequate heating and free from damp. A method of assessment called the Housing Health and Safety Rating System is used , under which the risk of harm to the occupant from a defect is assessed. The Council has a duty to take enforcement action where there is a category 1 hazard and discretion to take enforcement against a category 2 hazard.

Click here to find out more about the HHSRS (external link)

We will  investigate complaints from private sector tenants where they feel their housing is deficient in any way, or where they are threatened with illegal eviction. Contact

We also provide advice to private sector landlords.

Advice to Landlords about Universal Credit

Icon for pdf The government has provided these tips to assist landlords who may have tenants moving onto Universal Credit. [131.36KB]

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

We routinely inspect Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) - premises occupied by more than one household - to ensure they are safe, have adequate facilities and means of escape in case of fire, and will investigate  complaints relating to these types of issues.

HMOs let to five or more people who share a kitchen or bathroom must be licensed. Since October 2018 this has applied to one and two storey HMOs as well as taller ones.          Click here to find out more on our Houses in Multiple Occupation webpage


Home Repairs Assistance Policy

Click here to view our Home Repairs Assistance Policy

Empty homes

We want to improve access to decent affordable housing by encouraging and supporting the owners of long term empty homes to bring these much needed homes back into occupation, to the benefit of the whole community.

UDC is part of a Consortium of  Local Authorities which is able to offer financial incentives to bring homes back into use through  leasing and other arrangements.. The PLACE scheme ( Private Lease Agreements Converting Empties) has been to be set up in conjunction with a RSL,Genesis Housing Association to offer  grants  to bring the dwelling up to the government's Decent Homes Standard in return for a lease arrangement.

Icon for pdf Click here to find out more about the PLACE scheme [298.71KB].

There is also an option of a loan to allow a dwelling to be renovated for sale, whereupon the loan is repaid, or made available for letting, repaying the loan through rental income. The owner has full control over future occupation of the dwelling.

In the event of an owner being unresponsive to assistance offered,the Council will take enforcement action where an owner persists in leaving a property empty, or there is a danger to public safety, or it is seriously overgrown or dilapidated.

Caravans and Mobile Homes sites

We license caravan and mobile homes sites, whether individual or large sites.

There will be conditions attached to a licence relating to the safety and welfare of the occupants, including spacing, amenities and fire precautions.

The applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site.

Click here to find out more about mobile homes (external link)

UDC offers discretionary grant assistance to occupiers of dwellings and mobile homes to carry out essential structural repair work or improvements.

We also provide Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) for adaptations to meet the needs of a disabled person.

Find out more about Grant Assistance