Hazardous and Toxic Substances

There is general and specific legislation controlling the transportation, storage, use and disposal of hazardous substances. There are different organisations, including the Environment Agency and Defra (the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs), that enforce this legislation depending on the business involved and/or where the substances are located.

 The council's environmental health service can give further advice on the above, and refer any complainants to another body where necessary.

The Environment Agency may be involved where there is spillage or pollution and where substances are being transported or are trade waste, etc. For further information please contact the environmental health service.

For crop-spraying incidents, you can find out more information at the Health and Safety Executive's website:

Click here to visit the HSE website's page on crop spraying


What is hazardous waste?

Waste is hazardous when it contains substances or has properties that might make it harmful to human health or the environment. This waste might not be immediately toxic, though it may still pose a health risk. By improving the way in which potentially hazardous wastes are dealt with now we can reduce the risk that they might pose in the future. The management of such waste is controlled by a European Commission directive that is based on a hazardous waste list. Many of the types of waste on this list are already regarded as 'special waste' in the UK.


Go straight to our other related services


Central Heating Oil

Contaminated Land