Thank you to all collection crews across Essex
The outbreak of coronavirus (Covid-19) has led to reduced resources across waste services in Essex.
Local councils in Essex are working hard to minimise disruption to residents. However, councils are having to make decisions to temporarily suspend elements of the waste service in order to maintain public health and safety.
In Uttlesford, the garden waste subscription service and bulky waste collections have been suspended. At this time, the waste and recycling bin collections in the district continue to run as normal.
As a frontline service, refuse and recycling collection crews are unable to work from home. Despite the reduction in staff levels, they have continued to work tirelessly to ensure a service is maintained for residents during this extraordinary time.
Alongside other critical services such as the NHS, police and fire services, these key workers are working hard on the frontline every day to ensure the bins are collected.
Ways in which residents can support their local collection crews:
- Please maintain at least two metres distance and do not approach collection crews
- Please avoid putting out additional waste for collection. If every household puts out more waste than usual, the collection vehicles will fill up quicker. This could result in some households not having their waste collected, as well as placing additional strain on collection crews
- Please continue to treat collection crews with respect
- Please place your bins at the kerbside ready for collection at 7am on your collection day
- Please be mindful where you park your car on collection day. With more people at home, residential roads are busier with parked cars making it harder for collection vehicles to get through
- Consider putting messages of support in windows to say thanks and let the crews know they are appreciated
If residents are self-isolating, either as a precaution or because they have a confirmed Coronavirus (Covid-19) diagnosis, they should also follow this advice:
- Double bag all personal waste such as used tissues and disposable cleaning cloths, securely in plastic bags or bin liners.
- Store these bags separately to other waste for at least 72 hours before placing in the general rubbish collection.
- Regular household recycling and waste should be treated as normal.
27 March 2020