Monthly updates to the electoral register
The electoral register is updated every month.
Our Electoral services team make monthly updates to the register up until our Annual canvass of households. Any amendments made in this process will show in the register of 1 December. The credit reference agencies receive a copy of all monthly updates and the full revised register so they can update their records.
The table below explains when we must receive your application and any other additional evidence that we ask for, for each monthly update. Your name may take up to six weeks to show on the register of electors, depending on when you register.
Monthly updates deadlines
At election time there is an exception to the normal deadline rule when any eligible elector may make an application to be added to the register up to 12 working days before the election.
The timetable for Rolling Registration applications for 2020 is:
Forms received by
Date added to the register
7 February 2020
2 March 2020
10 March 2020
1 April 2020
7 April 2020
1 May 2020
7 May 2020
1 June 2020
9 June 2020
1 July 2020
10 July 2020
3 August 2020
10 August 2020
1 September 2020
9 November 2020
1 December 2020
- Names on forms received after 10 August 2020 will not be added to the register until 1 December 2020.
- In the event of an election, the next monthly addition will change to 6 days before an election. The deadline for applications will be 12 working days before the election.
Securing your vote
In order to ensure the process is correct, up to date and compliant we do a great deal of work such as:
- We write to all electors to confirm we have added or amended their details to the register
- We carry out regular legal reviews of any electors we have reason to believe have moved away so to maintain an accurate register
- We conduct reviews as necessary to query an elector's nationality or other entitlement to be registered such as right to remain in this country
- We cross-check other council databases as necessary to determine registration
- Match with the Department of Work and Pensions database to satisfy the identity of an elector before they are added to the register
- We seek to refresh all absent voters signature every 5 years and with all postal vote applications we gather the electors data of birth and signature and write to confirm we have processed such requests
- We liaise with the police about any suspicious registering or voting activities