Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering
Dates for our 2020 and early 2021 courses are now available.
The Environmental Health Team at Uttlesford District Council provides the Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering (formerly the Foundation Certificate in Food Hygiene). Rigorous enforcement of food hygiene legislation is important but it is not, in itself, sufficient to prevent food poisoning.
Food poisoning is normally caused by negligence or ignorance and consequently most experts in food hygiene believe that a reduction in the high level of food poisoning cases will only be achieved by the education of food handlers. The aim of the course is to demonstrate to all food handlers through a series of lectures, slides, visual aids, examples and course book the dangers associated with working with food, and covers these subject areas:
- Food safety hazards
- Temperature control
- Refrigeration, chilling and cold holding
- Cooking, hot holding and reheating
- Food handling
- Principles of safe food storage
- Food premises and equipment
Course dates in 2020-21
Each course takes place at the Council Offices in Saffron Walden and costs £80 including VAT. The course consists of about six hours of tuition, which is run over two evenings. All courses run from 5.15pm to 8.30pm.
At the end of the second session there is a 30-question multiple-choice examination that the candidate is expected to sit. This examination is taken at the student's own pace with no time limits.
Course Dates for 2020
Please note changes due to Coronavirus.
Tuesday 14 & 21 July 2020 Cancelled
Thursday 17 & 24 September 2020 Cancelled
Tuesday 24 November & 1 December 2020 To be confirmed
Course Dates for 2021
Wednesday 3 & 10 February 2021 To be confirmed
Course booking information
It is essential that catering staff and proprietors of food businesses have a good understanding of all aspects of food safety. This qualification has been designed to provide a good, basic understanding of food safety practices and the appropriate legislation.
To book please contact Environmental Health Administrator, Lesley Johnston.
Telephone: 01799 510483 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional course details
- There is a maximum of 15 places per course, so please book early to ensure you get a place
- The course fee is £80 including VAT per person - this includes registration, food hygiene handbook, examination entry, certificate and refreshments
- There is a 25% discount on the course fee for all Uttlesford District Council administered benefit claimants
- Cancellation - refunds will only be given for cancellations made by letter, fax or e-mail at least two weeks before the course date
- Transfer to another course should be made by letter, fax or email at least two weeks before the course date
- A full refund or transfer to another course will be offered should Uttlesford District Council cancel the course
- Courses are normally held at the Council Offices, Saffron Walden, though on-site training is available at special rates for organisations that require staff training for numbers between 10 to 20
- You must bring photographic identification to the second part of the course (second evening). Acceptable forms of identification include passport, driving licence or student ID card
For further information on Food Hygiene Courses or registering a new food business, contact Environmental Health Administrator, Lesley Johnston.
- Telephone: 01799 510483
- Email email@example.com